Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Using Water Test Kits - Compare Berkey Filter and Distilled Water Filter - Purtest and First Alert Kits

 If you have ever wondered what is in your water and would like to try and test the water yourself, here is a good video about using DIY test kits.

It is interesting too because they test the water from the popular Berkey Filter and compare it to a Distilled water filter.


My company sends out our lab tests to a professional testing facility.  It is usually to test for fluoride or chloramine removal.  However, we cannot test for everything because it is extremely costly.

These little kits test for lead, pesticides, alkalinity, hardness, nitrate and nitrite.  There are some tests available for chlorine.  Anything else you want to test for you will need to send it to a lab and expect to pay several hundred dollars depending on how in depth you wish to go with your water.


"Today, I'm going to do a water test using these commercially available test kits and I've got a couple of different test kits here.

These are usually sold in retail stores and I'm going to do a test on my distilled water and my Berkey water filter.

I just need a reveal on my water distiller and I used this TDS meter to test my distill water to find out how cleaning was. And it turned out to be very clean.

And, according to this to the TDS meter, I got one part per million. So that's almost like zero.


So the water is almost 100 percent pure according to this, but I want to go one step further to find out, if that's the truth. So I got these test kits and they test for a variety of different contaminants in the water.

I have two test kits with different brands. They look different and they are made by different manufacturers, but the tests are exactly the same.

And because I've got two test kits here, I think I'll test, the Berkey filter water also.

The Berkey filter water is the water have been using before I have the water distiller.

Right. So here is the inside of their packages. On the right side got the First Alert. On the left side it's made by Purtest.

Even though there are different brands, the test materials are very similar. Especially the lead and pesticide test strips here. The lead and pesticide strips are identical in both test kits.

So this is the inside of the packages. On the Purtest kit. For each test, I have two test strips so to make it consistent, I'll just gives this one test kit for both samples. But each test kit only has one of lead and one pesticide strip, so I have to use one of each test kit..."  Watch the video to get the whole story.

https://youtu.be/vGE4Fq8vDpQ

No comments:

Post a Comment